Verizon Droid: iPhone 4G Bargaining Chip
We gave you a story yesterday about the fact that Android smartphones are now outselling the iPhone for the first time in financial Q1. However today an interesting article on beatweek.com has come to our attention in which they point out that the only reason people are buying Androids instead of iPhones are because that’s all they can get with their current carrier and they are the next best thing.
Many people for instance stay loyal to Verizon and so cannot get an iPhone because of the exclusivity deal Apple currently has with AT&T. Beatweek.com make a very interesting and seemingly valid point when they suggest that Verizon only launched the Droid as a bargaining chip, apparently in an attempt to persuade Apple to offer them the iPhone.
Although some reports are that AT&T’s exclusivity deal with Apple has just been extended, it would clearly seem madness to suggest that Apple won’t eventually offer the iPhone to Verizon and when it does the Androids may then sink into obscurity.
For more on this story go to beatweek.com. Do you think the Droid was merely used as a bargaining chip from Verizon, or is that being over-harsh? Are you a current Android user who would jump ship to an iPhone the minute Verizon, or another carrier, are able to offer it? Let us know your thoughts.
Leave a comment below or follow us on Twitter.
Tags: Cell Phones
- Investigation into dog attacks and the causes behind them
- Batter Up: The Summer Sports TV Guide
- Fuse Medway Festival announces programme of top quality outdoor arts
- May Bank Holiday 2013, need for life-saving water safety tips
- Create a Fruit & Veg Masterpiece Art Competition for 2013
- Virgin London Marathon success for Martha Trust runners
- Spring open day at Ranscombe Farm in Kent