Jon Venables, killer of James Bulger: Allegations of sexual assault
Following our earlier story about the return of one of James Bulger’s killers, Jon Venables to prison, comes news of what the reason for this may be. He had originally been released on license and was returned to jail for breaching his license conditions, but there was no more information about exactly what he’d done.
However according to the Telegraph.co.uk a report in another newspaper alleges that Venables committed a serious sexual offence. There had been speculation previously that he was returned to jail because of a fight at work. Other reports said that he had been living it up enjoying nights out in Liverpool.
Now we hear that Jack Straw, home secretary is going to meet with James Bulger’s mother, Denise Fergus, to discuss her anger and her concerns that she also doesn’t know why Venables has been returned to jail. Apparently in a meeting with a probation officer she was denied information despite earlier promises that she would be kept informed.
Mr Straw said in a statement issued by the Ministry of Justice, that he would not be giving further details of Venables’ return to custody as it was not in the public interest. He then said that Venables’ recall concerned “extremely serious allegations”. Do you feel that James Bulger’s mother, or the British public, have a right to more information, or maybe you feel information is being withheld for a good reason?
Leave a comment below or follow us on Twitter.
- Investigation into dog attacks and the causes behind them
- Batter Up: The Summer Sports TV Guide
- Fuse Medway Festival announces programme of top quality outdoor arts
- May Bank Holiday 2013, need for life-saving water safety tips
- Create a Fruit & Veg Masterpiece Art Competition for 2013
- Virgin London Marathon success for Martha Trust runners
- Spring open day at Ranscombe Farm in Kent