196 people charged over Maguindanao massacre
196 people including a close ally of Philippine President Gloria Arroyo have been charged with murders during an election-linked massacre in Maguindanao province in November according to prosecutors in the case.
According to papers filed to a Manila court. Andal Ampatuan Snr, the former governor of Maguindanao province where the slaughter of 57 people occurred, was also charged with murder. Others charged were men who were allegedly the gunmen who shot the victims in the massacre.
Ampatuan Snr’s son is already standing trial for murder after being accused of orchestrating the killings. It is believed he had 100 gunmen abducted and killed the victims to stop, Esmael Mangudadatu, from running against him for governor. Prosecutor Leo Dacera said those charged had been positively identified as the perpetrators.
To read more on this story go to news.bbc.co.uk.
Leave a comment below or follow us on Twitter.
Tags: Maguindanao massacre
- Batter Up: The Summer Sports TV Guide
- Fuse Medway Festival announces programme of top quality outdoor arts
- May Bank Holiday 2013, need for life-saving water safety tips
- Create a Fruit & Veg Masterpiece Art Competition for 2013
- Virgin London Marathon success for Martha Trust runners
- Spring open day at Ranscombe Farm in Kent
- Discovery Park in Sandwich Kent welcomes new tenants